Welcome to Bahir Dar City
Bahir Dar is one of the leading tourist destinations in Ethiopia with a variety of attractions in the nearby Lake Tana and Blue Nile river, is an excellent place to settle in for a few days. Bahir Dar is distinctly known for its wide avenues lined with palm trees and range of colorful flowers. Bahir Dar is considered as one of the most beautiful and safest cities in Ethiopia. Bahir Dar is located 578 km northwest of Addis Ababa, an elevation of 1 840 m above the sea.
Ethiopian Airlines operates scheduled flights between Bahir Dar and the capital Addis Ababa, city is also connected by daily buses from Addis Ababa and Gondar. Many private minibuses also run from Gondar and Addis Ababa to Bahir Dar. Getting around the city is easy and inexpensive, the three wheel rick-shaws are the most common form of transportation, there are also minibuses and taxi.
- Koriftu Lake Tana Resort & SPA a nice getaway, beautiful tropical gardens, good restaurant and a nice swimming pool.
- Dalot Pension, located near the bus station, modern, clean and convenient, best value in Bahir Dar.
- Al Hanan Muslim Restaurant near the Dalot Pension, serves huge and tasty dishes, place for coffee ceremony, nice service.
- Lake Tana Hotel, beautiful surroundings, great views of the lake and nice greenery around the hotel, buffet restaurant
- Ghion Hotel, a travellers meeting place, located on the shores of lake Tana and the food is marvellous.
- Summerland Hotel at the shores of Lake Tana, good food and amazing views of the lake.
- Desset Lodge is a new restaurant with a beautiful view of the lake, enjoy a beer here while watching the sun set.
- Azewa Hotel has some of the best fish goulash in the country and is good and very inexpensive.
- Tana Restaurant serves fabulous fish dishes for little money.
- Enkutatash Restaurant, behind the telecommunications building does a wide variety of food at decent prices.
Bahir Dar is situated on the southern shore of the Lake Tana, on the lake islands there are many churches and monasteries. There are many boat tours available to the monastaries, the boat trip can be booked through your hotel or by one of the many tours in the city. It is also possible to charter your own boat so you can choose which churches and islands you wish to see. Women are not allowed to enter monasteries.
Approximately 35 km from the city there is a Blue Nile Falls Tis Abay, it's an amazingly scenic waterfall. You can take a bus to the village of Tis Abay, from which it is about 30 minute walk to the falls. In the city wide river provides ideal conditions for hippos and crocodiles, both of which are occasionally seen from the bridge.